Marker Text: Named for 18th century Indian converts of Mission Espiritu Santo de Zuniga.
A men's college. Founded 1852 by Western Presbytery of Texas. Used buildings of old mission plus funds given by Goliad.
Taught Latin, Greek, geography, surveying, bookkeeping, writing, reading, elementary and higher mathematics, English grammar and orthography.
Closed--like most of Texas' 25 colleges--after the Civil War began (1861) and most students joined the Confederate Army.
Had its buildings wrecked in the great storm of 1886. (1965)
Marker No: 178
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: From Goliad, take Highway 183 177A south about .5 mile to Park Road 6, Goliad State Park, Goliad.