Marker Text: The town of Barclay was founded in 1877 when William Anderson Barclay (1849-1927) opened a general mercantile store here, a leader in farming , business, commercial, and industrial circles throughout central Texas , W.A. Barclay also operated a large horse and cattle ranch nearby and was appointed the town's first postmaster in 1881.
As more settlers moved into the area the need for a church and cemetery became evident. In 1881 pioneer Lyddleton Smith of Washington County assigned three acres of land for a Baptist Church. The congregation that was organized became known as Beulah (later Barclay) Baptist Church , and its members set aside part of the property for a burial ground.
Barclay Cemetery with is oldest grave dating from 1882, has been enlarged several times over the years. Confederate veteran Paul Piper (1849-1934), who moved his family to the town in1882, donated part of his acreage for additional burial grounds in 1886 and deeded more land to the cemetery upon his death.
The graveyard has been maintained by the Barclay Cemetery Association since 1915. In use for more than 100 years, the burial ground remains important part of the history of this community. (1983)
Location: From Rosebud, take Sh 53 west about 8.5 miles, then go south on FM 1722 aoubt 5 miles (in Barclay community)
Marker No: 303
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.073669, -97.112396