Blevins Community and School
Marker Text: The community of Blevins began about 1860, when Texas Revolution veteran Thomas H. Barron and his family settled near Deer Creek. The Rev. Isaac Taylor operated a school for area children from the 1870s until 1885, when Blevins School opened. A public school district, formally organized in 1916, served students in a nine-square mile area until 1939. A post office operated from 1886 to 1904, and at its height the community boasted two general stores, two cotton gins, two churches, a blacksmith shop, and ice house. (1992)
Marker No: 435
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.226061, -97.206535
Location: From Bruceville-Eddy, take 1239 8 miles south to Blevins Cemetery.