Marker Text: One of several routes used by traders dealing with Indians, primarily Comanches (hence name). Weapons, whiskey and trade goods were swapped for stolen Texas cattle, horses and captives.
Pursuit apparently begun in the 1760s, when Mexican hunters ventured out on "Staked Plains" (Indian domain) to hunt buffalo for New Mexico meat markets.
Early explorers Zebulon Pike (1807), Josiah Gregg (1830) and Captain R. B.Marcy (1848) told of finding Comanchero campsites and wagon trails on the plains.
The Comancheros ceased to operate in the mid-1870s. (1970)
Marker No: 997
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 33.902546, -102.478134
Location: From Littlefield take SH 54 west, about 8 miles