Cove Springs United Methodist Church
Marker Text: Begun in December 1856 as the Sand Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, South, this church has been in continuous operation for over 130 years. A parcel of land was purchased at Sand Hill by church trustees, and the congregation continued meeting at that location for several years.
In 1879 the church moved to a ten-acre site known as "Camp Ground" about one mile south of this site. A frame sanctuary was soon erected, and a brush arbor was built for worship services during the hot summer months. The one-room church also served as a community school, where children in all grades received instruction from one teacher.
In 1911 the church moved to this location. The land was purchased for $25, and another frame sanctuary was built, which served the flourishing congregation until 1955. Construction of a new brick building began in March 1955, with Mrs. John F. Rountree, a charter member of the "Camp Ground", participating in the groundbreaking ceremonies.
While many rural churches in Texas did not survive hard economic times over the years, this congregation has remained active and continues to be an integral part of the community. (1986)
Marker No: 6635
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: about 4 miles west of Jacksonville off US 175, then .5 mile on CR 3146