Early Bell County Jail
Marker No: 1336
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Texas Historic Landmark
Geographic: 31.058947, -97.463120
Marker Text: In 1854, four years after the county was organized, a 2-story structure of logs was built on this site, to serve as the first Bell County jail that log jail was replaced in 1873 by this building of native limestone.
In 1874, vigilantes from all parts of Texas raided this jail and executed nine men. Charged with murder, robbery, horse theft and other crimes, this citizens' attack was regarded as a major factor in ending lawlessness in Bell County during the 1870's.
Building was rented to city of Belton in 1884 when third county jail was completed, sold later. (1967)
Location: 210 North Pearl Street, Belton