Early History of Kimble County
Marker Text: Created in 1858 out of Bexar County, Kimble County was attached temporarily to Gillespie County for Judicial purposes. It was named for Lt. George C. Kimble, slain March 6, 1836, in the Siege of the Alamo.
The County was organized in 1876, and the first regular term of District Court was held, spring 1877, under a live oak tree 1¾ miles north of here. Judge W.A. Blackburn presided, aided by Texas Rangers.
The first county officials, elected February 15, 1876, were Will Potter, Judge; Frank Latta, Sheriff and tax collector; E.K. Kountz, clerk; N.Q. Patterson, treasurer; M.J. Denman, surveyor; and William Graham, attorney.
The County Commissioners were James R. Steffey of Precinct 3; and A. Vancourt of Precinct 4.
The first courthouse, a frame building erected in 1878, was destroyed, with all the county records, by fire on April 22, 1884. Commissioners Court passed an order on May 13, 1884, to replace the old building with a new, two-story stone structure.
On June 2, 1888. This also was partially destroyed by fire, and on April 11, 1889, it was ordered repaired under the direction of B.A. Davey. This building stood until replaced by the present courthouse in 1929. (1968)
Marker No: 1312
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: Courthouse grounds (corner of Main and 6th), Junction