Marker Text: Atop the Edwards Plateau, extending into the scenic Nueces Valley. Angora goat capital of the world. The economy is based on ranching. Wild game is abundant.
Created in 1858 and organized 1883 from old Bexar district. Named for Haden Edwards (1813-1865), an early leader and colonizer in Texas.
First county seat was Leakey; present boundaries were created, and county seat was moved on April 13, 1891, to Rocksprings. First courthouse and jail were built that year. After a fire in 1897, the present courthouse was erected; it withstood a destructive tornado that claimed 72 lives in the county in 1927.
First officials to serve the county (1891-1893) as it is presently constituted were the following: James M. Hunter, County Judge;
W. M. Sanford, County and District Clerk;
Ira L. Wheat, Sheriff and Tax Collector;
S.A. Hough, County Attorney;
W.H. Cowan, County Treasurer
County Commissioners: John Eaton, Precinct No. 1;
C. H. Kirchner, Precinct No. 2;
H. Schweithelm, Precinct No. 3;
M. M. Bradford, Precinct No. 4.
Marker No: 1402
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.014809, -100.207237
Location: South end of courthouse square, Rocksprings