Farmers Mutual Protective Association of Texas (RVOS)
Marker Text: The Farmers Mutual Protective Association of Texas (Rolnicky Vzajemne Ochranny Spolek Statu Texasu) was organized in the community of Ocker (400' NW) by nine men of Czechoslovakian descent on February 27, 1901. Created as a means of providing farmers and rural citizens with insurance coverage, the association was a cooperative effort of neighbors ready to help each other in times of need.
By the rules of the non-profit organization, only rural property was insurable, and each member was obligated to pay a share of any losses sustained by fellow members. In 1908, city property became insurable.
Association officers worked from their homes until 1946, when offices were rented in Temple. A home office was built on south 4th Street in 1950, and replaced by a new building at 2301 south 37th Street in 1981.
Charter members of the association were Joseph P. Marek (1856-1936), Martin Stepan (1859-1935), Joseph R. Schiller (1874-1918), Frank J. Wotipka (1847-1933), Josef Wentrcek (1860-1922), F. Vincenc Schiller (1849-1941), Jan Baletka (1858-1939), Joseph Schiller (1847-1929), and Jan Zabcik (1856-1916). (1986)
Marker No: 1572
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.070141, -97.140259
Location: From Temple, take FM 53 east about 10 miles to junction of FM 53 and FM 320, marker is 1/2 mile north on FM 320.