First Baptist Church of Belton
Marker No: 1616
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.060658, -97.462135
Location: 506 North Main Street, Belton
Marker Text: The First Baptist Church of Belton, was organized in the summer of 1853 under the leadership of the Rev. Solomon G. O'Bryan and the Rev. David Fisher. There were eight charter members, and the congregation met in a small frame building on Pearl Street on the north side of Nolan Creek. Early visiting preachers included John Clabaugh, and Judge R.E.B Baylor.
Clabaugh was called as permanent pastor of the church in 1856 and held services once a month until the beginning of the Civil War. Visiting ministers served the congregation during the war. A revival held in 1864 at the courthouse by the Rev. W.W. Harris resulted in many new members for the church.
The Rev. M.V. Smith began eighteen-year pastorate in Belton in January 1875. The congregation, which had been meeting in other churches, built a stone structure on the east side of Main Street. South of the present church buildings. After the stone church was destroyed by fire in 1947, construction began on the present structure at 506 N. Main. The facilities have been enlarged over the years to serve the growing congregation.
With service to its congregation and the community the church has contributed to Belton's history. (1986)