First Church in Community Copperas Methodist Church
Location: from Junction go west on IH-10 11.5 miles - take exit FM 1674, go east 1.1 miles to marker and church
Marker Text: Organized in 1881 by circuit rider, Andrew Jackson Potter, who helped firmly establish the Methodist church in West Texas. Before construction of church on this site in 1917, services were held in schoolhouse or under brush arbor 3/4 mi. SW on west bank, Copperas Creek.
Building site was donated by J.A. Cowsert. Lumber was hauled here by wagon from Menard. Labor was donated by members and other local residents. (1968)
Marker No: 1528
Medallion & Plate
Texas Historic Landmark