First National Bank of Bastrop
Marker Text: First bank in county. In early days, money for safekeeping was placed with mercantile firms.
Organized as "Bank of Bastrop County", in March 1889; became a national bank on Aug. 10, 1889.
Presidents of this bank have been J. C. Buchanan, B. D. Orgain, W. A. McCord, W. B. Ransome, Earl C. Erhard and Gates B. Mack.
Present structure built 1950, is on site of 1860's law office of Geo. W. Jones and J. D. Sayers; each served Texas as Lieutenant Governor and U.S. Congressman. Sayers was Governor, 1899-1903.
Noted trading store of John Swan Johnson also stood here. (1967)
Marker No: 9149
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: Corner of Main and Spring Streets, Bastrop