First Presbyterian Church of Taylor
Marker No: 9092
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.572845, -97.398949
Location: 114 West Sixth Street, Taylor
Marker Text: The history of this church can be traced to 1876, when a Presbyterian congregation here was closely associated with the Presbyterian church in Georgetown. The Rev. John McMurray led both congregations, and the earliest written recognition of the Taylor church appears in 1878 denominational records.
Trustees for the church purchased this property in March 1878, and a frame sanctuary was completed by Thanksgiving of that year. A school operated by the Rev. Mr. McMurray was located across the street.
The Rev. James P. Lyle was called as the church's first full-time pastor in 1889. About a year later a home was built on the church property to house the pastor's family, but it was destroyed in a 1900 fire.
Denominational records began to refer to this congregation as First Presbyterian Church of Taylor in 1895, following the establishment of a Cumberland Presbyterian church the previous year. The two congregations were merged about 1910 and retained the First Presbyterian Church name. The need for a larger facility soon arose, and a new brick sanctuary was built in 1912-1913. (1989)