Former Site of Y.M.C.A.
Marker Text: In 1898, the Gulf Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad chartered a Young Men's Christian Association and , in 1899, erected a 3-story structure across the street from this site to furnish lodging and recreation for railway workers. The facility also served Temple citizens and pioneered in providing athletic activities for youth. The principal community leaders of the "Y" were W.S. Rowland (1866-1940),Dr A.C. Scott (1865-1940), Dr. J.M. Woodson (1868-1930), Dr. R.T. Wilson (1884-1965), Walter R. Humphrey (1904-1971). The first Y.M.C.A. building burned in 1934 but was rebuilt the next year. In 1942, the facilities were given to the USO. (1975)
Marker No: 5920
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.096014, -97.342987
Location: 200 South First Street, Temple