Site of Fort Inge
Marker Text: Established by Captain Sidney Burbank, first U. S. Infantry, on March 13, 1849. Named in honor of Lieutenant Zebulon M. P. Inge, who fell at Resaca de la Palma May 9, 1846. Protected the southern Overland Mail route from Indians raids. Federal troops, withdrawn in 1961, reoccupied the post from 1866 to February 28, 1869. Later a Texas Ranger camp. (1936)
Marker No: 4793
Gray Granite 1936 Centennial Marker
National Register of Historic Places
Location: From Uvalde, take Hwy. 140 southeast 1.25 mile to Fort Inge Historical Park entrance, then follow drive in about .2 mile.