Ft. McKavett - Ft. Clark Military Road
Marker Text: From nearby Ft. Terrett, this road in 1852 led south to Ft. Clark and north to Ft. McKavett.
Selected mainly because it had water available. It served as route for freight and mail, 1868, When forts were reactivated. Over it went troops supplies,a few immigrants and pioneer ranchers it was noted also for passage of forays of Col. Ranaid Mackenzie against the hostile Indians to the northwest.
After forts were abandoned in 1883, ranchers drove cattle to market over parts of the road. (1966)
Marker No: 1545
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: from Junction go 18 miles west on IH-10 to Loop 291, go west on 291 about 1 mile to marker which is in front of Roosevelt Community Center