Grand Opera House
Marker Text: Staged outstanding musicals, dramas. Built 1891 by local men for professional troupes. Also scene of home talent plays, some directed by Ben K. Franklin, a former actor who settled here. Programs created social stir, with lavish dress and parties.
Building has copper roof and corbeled bay window tower; had ornate stage and auditorium.
Now owned by former U.S. Vice President John Nance Garner and his son, Tully Garner. (1967)
Marker No: 2249
Medallion & Plate
Texas Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Location: 104 North West Street - marker fronts Getty, Uvalde