Granger Brethren Church
Marker No: 9099
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.690922, -97.483482
Location: 326 West Broadway Street, Granger
Marker Text: Czech protestant immigrants began settling in this area in the early 1880s. Many of then established family farms in the rich farmland surrounding Granger.
The Czechs first organized worship service was held in a schoolhouse east of town in the early 1880s. Services were held sporadically whenever a traveling minister was available to preach, the Rev. Adolph Chlumsky, a Czech Brethren minister from Brenham encouraged the people here to organize a church. On July 10, 1892, they officially founded a congregation and elected Chlumsky pastor. He commuted from Brenham to serve the congregation built its first church structure in 1901.
On December 29, 1903, under the leadership of the Rev. Mr. Chlumsky, the Evangelical Unity of the Czech-Moravian Brethren in North America (Unity of the Brethren) denomination officially was organized at Granger Brethren Church.
In 1910 Chlumsky was succeeded by the Rev. Josef Barton, Sr. , who became the first resident pastor. The church continued to thrive over the years, serving the community with a variety of programs. It remains an important part of Williamson County history. (1992)