Greenleaf Fisk (1807 - 1888) "Father of Brownwood"
Marker Text: Donor of present townsite of Brownwood, Fisk was noted as a soldier, public servant, surveyor, and businessman. The son of English parents, he was born in New York. As a boy he was so studious that he voluntarily gave up recess periods to read. In 1834 he abandoned his preparation for the Presbyterian ministry and, with a friend, embarked down the Ohio River on a skiff to brave the Texas frontier.
Settling at Mina (present Bastrop), he fought in the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836. He later served in various county offices in Bastrop and Williamson counties and was a senator in the Republic of Texas. As a government surveyor in this period, he mapped this region and like it so well he determined to settle here. Having received in 1846, for his service in the Texas Revolution, a large land grant in this vicinity, he moved here in 1860. Besides teaching, he also served as county judge and in other offices.
When difficulties arose over the location of the county seat, he donated 60 acres for the town and 100 acres for county purposes. He then persuaded many citizens to move here from the old townsite.
At his death in 1888, Fisk was buried in Greenleaf Cemetery. He married twice and had 15 children. (1968)
Marker No: 2273
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.722286, -98.980576
Location: Courthouse square, Center and Broadway Streets, Brownwood