Immanuel Baptist Church
Marker No: 15969
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: 90 East 14th Street, San Angelo
Marker Text: In 1910, following a revival service, a group of area residents organized Immanuel Baptist Church. the members started the church to serve Baptists in the rapidly-growing north section of San Angelo. The charter members met in a home before soon constructing a building at the intersection of 19th and Volney Streets. To accommodate growth, members erected a new structure in 1915. Additions which made in 1932, 1937 and 1945. In 1953, the congregation moved to a new building at 14th and Oakes Streets. A 1981 fire destroyed the church's educational building and damaged the sanctuary: the congregation moved back after finishing repairs in 1982.
Since its organization, Immanuel Baptist Church has been active in reaching out to the community. The congregation has offered after school programs, provided goods and care to the poor and elderly, and opened a clothing outlet and a bread distribution ministry. Members have also focused on ministries for women and the homebound.
Immanuel Baptist Church has prioritized local and foreign missions. Members organized the Lakeview Baptist Missions and the Harris Avenue Mission; both became churches. Members have also been active in sponsoring missionaries in foreign countries, such as Madagascar, Thailand and Japan. Today celebrating a century of service to the community, Immanuel Baptist Church continues to serve as a beacon of light in san Angelo and abroad. (2009)