John L. Jones Ranch
Location: from London take US 377 3.3 miles south - then FM 385 4 miles south to FM 1871, go east about 2 miles to marker
Marker Text: Established about 1875 by Jim Ike and John L. Jones (1852-1912). John Jones drove thousands of cattle to Kansas railheads, and by 1885 had his brother's interest in the ranch, which he increased to 25,000 acres. Originally he ran large herds of cattle, but later added sheep and goats to his ranch. he built a stone drift fence, possibly first in county; portions of this still stand.
He was persuaded by friends to run for sheriff in 1896, to help rid the county of rustlers; he completed the job in one term.
Descendants own much of this original ranch property today. (1973)
Marker No: 1692
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.572155, -99.555801