Marker No: 2939
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.098682, -97.732849
Location: 1809 Florence Road, Killeen
Marker Text: W.E. Bennett began publishing the Killeen Herald in June 1890, eight years after the town of Killeen, was founded. Later owners of the newspaper included W.T. Carter, an active civic leader who served as publisher and editor from 1907 to 1950. Begun as a weekly publication, the Herald has been a daily paper since 1953, from the earliest days of Killeen, the Herald has grown with the town and has chronicled the area's dynamic progress. It is now the oldest privately owned and continuously operated business enterprise in the city Killeen. (1990)
Additional Plate: Frank W. Mayborn, 1903-1987, a central Texas communication pioneer, converted the Herald from a weekly to a successful daily in 1953.