Lampasas River Bridge
Geographic: 30° 59' 53.5992", -97° 29' 19.2984"
Marker Text: Erected to replace an 1875 toll bridge at this site, this was one of several bridges authorized by the Bell County commissioners court in 1889. Built by the Penn Bridge Company of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, it is a rare surviving example of a double-intersection Pratt truss bridge (also known as a Whipple truss bridge, after the engineer who patented the design in the 19th century). Measuring over 196 feet in length, the bridge consists of eleven pin-connected panels. Large pieces of native rock were used to form the abutments, and the floor is made of heavy timber planking. (1990)
Marker No: 3026
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Texas Historic Landmark