Ledbetter Salt Work, C.S.A.
Marker No: 3060
Pink Granite Civil War Memorials
Geographic: 32.723167, -99.297203
Location: Courthouse Square, corner of SH 6 & Highway 180, Albany
Marker Text: Located 8 miles southwest on Salt Prong, Hubbard Creek. Discovered 1861 by trail drives. W. H. Ledbetter began extensive development of deposits in 1862 with increased Civil War demand for salt. A large furnace was built, kettles and materials for refining were brought from East Texas by wagon. Salt in large quantities was furnished Confederate troops west of the Mississippi, State Militia, area ranches and towns. Smoking or salting were only ways to preserve meat. When South levied a meat tithe, salt was vital to cure bacon for military. Back side Ledbetter Salt Works: Salt was a must for horses and mules used by cavalry, artillery and supply wagons. Hides were preserved with salt to make shoes and harness. Rangers used it to treat rattlesnake bites and aliments. Settlers came from a 200 mile radius for salt, taking it by saddlebag and wagon. The frontier regiment Texas Cavalry guarded the works and roads from hostile Indians during the war. Indian troubles continued after the war. In 1867, nearby U.S. Fort Griffin was established, and a "six-pounder" cannon was loaned to the works for defense. Salt was produced until 1880. A Memorial to Texans Who Served the Confederacy. (1963)