Live Oak Cemetery
Marker No: 3103
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.983593, -97.716988
Location: 12 miles S on FM 440, 1 mile east on FM 2484
Marker Text: Although an inventory of marked gravesites indicates that the first person buried here was Michael Young. Local tradition claims that distinction actually belongs to Young's daughter. She is believed to have died of sickness near this location during the family's westward journey from Alabama and buried here prior to her father's interment in 1875.
At that time, this particular piece of land was still state public land. It was not until June 1886 that it passed into the private ownership of John O. Rhea. The first legal documentation of Live Oak Cemetery is contained in a deed transferring 3.9 acres of land for cemetery trustees in 1901. At that time the cemetery contained about 40 burials.
The dates appearing on tombstones suggest that this cemetery is closely associated with the community of Youngsport, reportedly named for Michael Young. Live Oak cemetery, together with the Boone-Hamilton Cemetery, continues to actively serve the Youngsport community and is maintained by a local cemetery association. (1992)