Log Cabin Study of Dr. Arthur Carroll Scott (July 12, 1865 - October 27, 1940)
Marker No: 4615
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.077881, -97.365578
Location: Scott & White Medical Center, Building LC, SW West Loop south of W. Avenue R (near Pediatric Clinic). 2401 South 31st Street, Temple
Marker Text: Cofounder of Scott and White Memorial Hospital. Dr. Scott used this cabin from 1920s to 1940 as a private study and retreat. In these rooms (Originally two small log "corn cribs" moved here and attached) he studied, wrote and entertained guests. Fireplace is built of unusual stones brought by friends, who knew he was a rock enthusiast. For years the cabin stood in an oak grove on hospital dairy farm (2.6mi NW) surrounded by masses of yellow jasmine and petunias. Dr Scott never allowed a telephone. So a bell on the farm was rung to call him in case of emergency.
Reared in Gainesville. Scott earned M.D. degree at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, 1886. In 1892 he became chief surgeon. Dr R.R. White (1871-1917).
The partners in 1904 founded Temple Sanitarium-progenitor of Scott and White Hospital. One of the nation's foremost diagnostic and treatment centers. For years expansion was met with temporary quarters until by 1960, hospital complex opened; in 1972 cabin was moved here and dedicated as a museum. (1972)