Marker Text: Located on a straight line from Cameron to Waco, this site was the natural choice for development of a new town along the San Antonio and Arkansas Pass Railroad in 1889. The Texas Townsite Company bought land from area pioneers Captain and Mrs. George H. Gassaway, who had purchased 7,000 acres in 1871. The railroad was given a right-of-way, and development began on a town, named in honor of railroad president Uriah Lott (1842- 1915).
As the construction crew worked to complete the rail line businesses sprang to life in the new town. A post office was established, and the city was incorporated in a November 1890 election. City officers were elected in December, and Albert B. Hemphill became the first mayor.
The Texas Townsite Company donated land to the town for a school and churches. The first school opened in 1890, followed by churches of several denominations. Fraternal organizations were established, and the Lott Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1895.
Following the completion of the railroad, Lott experienced a time of rapid growth. Although the railroad route closed in 1949, the town flourished. (1986)
Marker No: 3133
27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.206942, -97.033722
Location: Northwest corner of Sh 320 & Judge R. W. Bailey Drive, Lott