McBride Ranch House
Marker No: 3274
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Texas Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Geographic: 35.555702, -101.677948
Location: From Amarillo, take SH 136 northeast about forty miles to Alibates Road, enter park and take South Fork to Sanford Recreation Area. Site is just before first park roadside area on north side of road.
Marker Text: A pioneer settler quarried Alibates dolomite from the canyon rim to build this house, mortared with lime burned on the site. Wood in ridge beams, door and window lintels, ice house, and corral came from old railroad bridge timbers salvaged from Canadian River. The floors are of masonry mortar.
The builder, David Nichols McBride, was born Oct. 22, 1849, in Henry County, Ill., married Abigail Catharine Stringer at Fort Sill, Indian Territory, July 2, 1876; and settled near village of Amarillo Sept. 17, 1887--just 18 days after Potter County was organized. The McBrides had seven children. This site (in "Watered Homestead") and three alternate "Dry Grazing" school lands sections were situated in center of the famous LX Ranch, owned by the American Pastoral Company of London. Patent for his land was issued to McBride in 1901, upon proof of three years occupancy. The Homestead Section cost $1.50 an acre, with payments extending over 40 years at 3% interest. The grazing land cost $1.00 an acre. McBride died June 26, 1928, in Needles, Calif.; heirs sold this property in 1963 to the Canadian River Municipal Water Authority. It is now administered by the National Park Service, Sanford Recreation Area, Lake Meredith. (1971)