Marker Text: James Madison McCrary (1845-1932) came to Comanche about 1870. With his father and brother he operated a mercantile on the town square and began the county's first cotton gin. He married Ella Griffith in 1872 and began construction of this house in 1876. Built of limestone quarried near Austin, the central-hall structure features segmental arches and gable-end chimneys. A recognized horticulturist, McCrary moved to a farm east of Comanche in 1910. He returned here to retire in 1926. The home was owned by McCrary descendants until 1987. (1989)
Marker No: 3283 & ?????
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker & Medallion
Texas Historic Landmark
Location: 802 South Austin Street, Comanche