Memorial Baptist Church of Temple
Marker No: 3323
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: 6161 South 5th Street, Temple
Marker Text: Less than a decade after its founding in 1881, Temple was fast developing as an important commercial center. Reflecting that growth, plans for this church began in the early 1890s. It was formally chartered as Memorial Mission Chapel on June 5, 1892, with 12 members: 9 women and 3 men. The founder and first pastor was The Rev. John Hill Luther, retired president of Baylor Female College, now the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. The church name honored the preacher's son, J.H. Luther, Jr., who died of tuberculosis at age 17.
The first building was a small chapel in an early south side addition platted by J.E. Moore, on whose farm the original Temple townsite was located, and W. Goodrich Jones, Luther's son-in-law. Moved to a new site in 1905, the chapel served the congregation until facilities were built here in 1913.
Memorial Baptist Church has served its community through such programs as a radio ministry, begun in 1939, and the formation of new churches. It has been associated with several well-known Baptist preachers, including the Rev. H. Carroll Smith and the Rev. B.B. Blaylock. A symbol of Temple's early growth, the church continues to be an important part of the area's religious and cultural heritage.
Additional Plate; The Memorial Baptist Church congregation relocated to this campus in 2005. (1991)