Marker Text: Irishman Robert Moore was the first person to settle permanently in this area arriving in the 1850s, he opened a general store on top of a hill south of cow bayou. By 1859 several other families lived here and the community became known as Mooreville.
Confederate veteran Edward McCullough (1834-1902) came to Mooreville in 1865 and later purchased land that included this site. During his ownership this cemetery was established. The graveyard appears to have been used by the community at large from its beginning; the earliest marked graves, which date to 1866. Bear surnames of Martin, Grayum and Russel. The burial grounds existence was first recorded in 1876, when Edward McCullough deeded land for a burial ground.
Since World War II, the historic burial ground has been maintained by the Mooreville Cemetery association, which formally established in 1973. The association counts among its members many descendants of Mooreville's original permanent settlers.
The Mooreville Cemetery is an important cultural resource in this area, it remains a tangible reminder of this community's pioneer heritage. (1992)
Additional plate: This marker was given to Mooreville Cemetery by the grandchildren of Hardy R. and Mary Jane Fiser Jones in memory of Annie Maude Jones.
Marker No: 3463
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.3058, -97.1361
Location: CR 499E, Mooreville