Mooreville Methodist Church
Marker No: 3436 & ??????
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker & Medallion
Texas Historic Landmark
Geographic: 31.301491, -97.141670
Marker Text: Methodists living in this area were gathering for worship services as early as 1866. The following year, the Rev. Howell L. Taylor assisted the group in formally establishing a Methodist Church congregation. Named the Mooreville Methodist Episcopal Church, south, the congregation had eighteen charter members. Early worship services were held 2 miles southeast of this site on George W. Bowman's farm.
By 1874 the congregation had completed its first church structure. Built on land donated by Edward G. Hanrick, it was located 2 miles north. Services were held there until 1882, when the congregation built its second sanctuary at this site site upon land donated by Edward McCullough.
In 1912, the congregation constructed its third and present worship building, the appearance of the wood-frame structure is eclectic, as its architectural elements reflect a variety of styles. Prominent features include a Queen Anne style shingled bell tower, bungalow style skirt wall foundation and bracketing and beaux arts style arched windows.
The historic church congregation has played an important role in the community's religious history. (1992)
Location: FM 2643, Mooreville