Additional Plate: Dallas L. Rawlinson and his wife Thelma Elizabeth (Douglas) Rawlinson purchased this home from the heirs of the Rev. J.M. and Lula Newburn in August 1945. They both lived here until their deaths, and in this home they reared two daughters, Joyce and Carol Ann. The home remained in the Dallas Rawlinson family for thirty-eight years, until June of 1983.
Marker No: 11808
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Texas Historic Landmark
Location: 406 West Kickapoo Street, Jacksonville
Marker Text: The Rev. John Madison Newburn (1868-1926), a native of Mississippi, came to Jacksonville from Neches, Texas, in the winter of 1896 to assume the pastorate of the First Baptist Church. He and his wife Lula purchased property on this site in 1901 from F. A. Fuller and R. B. Longmire. Built in 1903, this house is a late example of a Victorian residence with transitional classical revival elements, including a two-story balustraded porch and four ornamental gables.
The Newburn family formed close ties with Jacksonville College and other family and friends in the community. When housing facilities were limited at the school, the Newburn home served as a dormitory. Two Jacksonville College presidents, the Rev. J. V. Vermillion and Deacon B. J. Albritton, were among those who penned a special memorial record of Newburn's work with the First Baptist Church after his death. The Rev. Mr. Newburn had served 22 years as pastor.
In 1928, after a fire destroyed the small Newburn Hospital owned and operated by J. M. Newburn's brother, C. L. Newburn, M. D., Lula Newburn offered her home to serve as a temporary hospital until a new facility was erected five months later. The home was owned and occupied by Newburn heirs until it was purchased by Dallas and Thelma Rawlinson in 1945. In later years the home served as a day care facility for area children. The house was returned to the friends of its first owners in 1994 when it was sold to Jacksonville College. (1998)