Old Waresville (1/4 Mile West)
Marker Text: First nonmilitary colony in Uvalde County, founded 1852 by Capt. William Ware, veteran of Battle of San Jacinto. Ware built first log cabin home (still standing). Other early settlers included Gideon Thompson, whose wife was first Anglo-American woman in Sabinal Canyon.
Colony lost settlers in Indian Raids, 1856-1866. Although the post office moved to Utopia in 1883, still here is the cemetery where Capt. Ware was buried in 1853; first store and post office built by Charles Durbon, 1856; homes of Joel Fenley, John Ware, built of native stone, 1870's. (1966)
Marker No: 3831
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Texas Historic Landmark
Location: Marker on Highway 187, 1-2 miles south of Utopia). From Utopia, take Highway 187 South about 1.5 mile to marker.