Sharp Cemetery and Rock Creek Baptist Church of Christ
Marker No: 4659
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.950657, -97.755325
Location: From Killeen, take SH 195 south about 12.25 miles, then go west on Sharp Cemetery Road about 2.5 miles.
Marker Text: Emily LeSeur Haynes Sharp 91824-1880) came to Texas from Alabama with her first husband, William Glenn Haynes. They settled in Harrison County, where they owned a large amount of land and operated a cotton gin. William Haynes died in 1849, and three years later Emily married Augustus V. Sharp (1810-1868).
The Sharp family moved to this area in 1859 and settled along the Lampasas River. When their six-year-old daughter, Sarah, died in 1864, she was buried on the family farm. Four years later Augustus Sharp died and was laid to rest next to his daughter.
In 1879 Emily Sharp deeded three acres of land surrounding the graves to establish a community cemetery. The. G. W. Dockery family deeded another 1.9 acres for Church of Christ was established in 1882, and in 1905 the members built a sanctuary.
Among the interments in the Sharp Cemetery are those of Sharp, Haynes, and Dockery Family members; veterans of several wars; and a number of infants and small children, many of the earliest graves are marked only with field stones, and some are surrounded by 19th-century rock fences. (1991)