Nuestra Senora De Guadalupe Mission
Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission
Marker Text: Established in 1756 on the Guadalupe River at or near present New Braunfels as an extension of the ill-fated mission San Francisco Xavier De Horcasitas (1746-1755). Earlier located 100 miles northeast, San Francisco Xavier had been shaken by attacks, disease and strife between friars and soldiers, which had climaxed in the murder of a friar in 1752.
Although most of the personnel and Indian converts (Neophytes) fled, the mission continued until 1755. After that time it moved to the Guadalupe river to gather its scattered Mayeye Indians. Who refused to enter Valero Mission (the Alamo) in San Antonio. Like the other three San Xavier Missions, San Francisco Xavier was short-lived.
Good features at this site included five springs, fertile fields, timber, meadows and the nearby river, two friars ran the small mission, with a citizen guard, so as to avoid friction, four Spanish families and 41 Indians (27 of them baptized) comprised the inhabitants of the mission as of January, 1757.
Never a strong mission, Guadalupe continued only until March, 1758. At this time the church withdrew its staff because of increasingly dangerous raids by Comanches and other northern tribes. (1968)
Marker No: 4842
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Location: on Gazebo Circle, New Braunfels