Site of Old Headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch (on Hill of East Cedar Creek)
Marker Text: In December 1880, H.C. Withers of the Texas & Pacific Railroad met local men here to decide on a site for a cattle shipping center. Bypassing the county seat of Buffalo Gap, the railroad platted a new town named Abilene for the famous cattle town in Kansas. Cattlemen meeting with Withers were Dallas banker and Hashknife Ranch co-ower John N. Simpson, and Confederate Colonels Claiborne W. (Clabe) and J.D. Merchant, twin brothers and ranchers who moved to Callahan County six years earlier. Brisk bidding ensued at a sale of city lots in March 1881. Abilene grew quickly and became a significant regional city of west Texas. (1968) (2007)
Marker No: 2403
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker - Replaced 1968 marker.
Location: Will Hair Park. 500 East Ambler Avenue, Abilene