Site of Pecan School
Marker No: 12503
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: 3.5 miles south of Holland on SH 95, then 2.9 miles east on Pecan School Road.
Marker Text: Earliest available records indicate the Pecan School was in existence by 1884. A one-room schoolhouse, built on land donated by Charles and Martha Riggs, was named for the large pecan tree on the property. It served until a two-room building was constructed in 1913. By that time, A.J. Patterson had purchased the land adjacent to the school and continued to support its progress. Students who wished to pursue a high school education did so in Bartlett and Holland after had finished their elementary education at Pecan School. In 1948, Pecan Common School district No.59 consolidated with Holland Independent School district, along with five other rural districts. (2001)