Site of the
Mission Nuestra Senora del
Espiritu Santo de Zuniga
Marker No: 3409
1936 Gray Granite Centennial Marker
Marker Text: First established at the site of La Salle's fort on Garcitas Creek, Victoria County, among the Coco, Cujanes, Karankawa and other Indian tribes in 1722. Moved to Mission Valley, Victoria County, on the Guadalupe River among the Jaranames and Tamiques in 1726. Located on the present site in 1749 for the same Indian neophytes. Secularized in 1794. Here Franciscan friars attempted to civilize and Christianize even the cannibalistic Indians of the region. (1936)
National Register of Historic Places
Location: From Goliad, take Highway 183/77A south about 1 mile to Goliad State Park.