Site of Wilson School
Marker Text: The Wilson School that once stood here traced its history to the 1890s, when entrepreneur William Anderson Barclay deeded one acre of land for a school house, typical of many rural schools in Texas in the late nineteenth century. The Wilson school was functional in design. Built of clapboard construction and topped with a shingle roof. The building contained three rooms. Two rooms were classrooms, one for grades one through four , the second for grades five through eight. The third room was a communal room shared by both classes.
Ray Hodges served as one of the earliest teachers here during the depression of the 19302 payment to the two teachers was often delayed, and barter was sometimes used instead of money. The average graduating class was four or five students, many of which served with distinction in World War II.
In 1950 the Wilson school was absorbed into the Rosebud independent school districts part of the Gilmer-Aikin minimal standards education bill passed by the Texas legislature. The school building was dismantled in 1955; only a few physical reminders remain to mark the site. (1997)
Marker No: 4915
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.018526, -97.063255
Location: 4 miles west of Rosebud on SH 53 1 mile south on FM 1963; 4 miles west on FM 1671