Site of World War II Camp Bowie
Marker Text: Huge World War II training base, Camp Bowie was a home of the "Texas" 36th Division and trained many other units, including the "Dixie" 31st, 4th, and 13th Armored; and 113th Cavalry. It was also Seventh Headquarters of Special Troops, Fourth Army. Here, too, Gen. Walter Krueger was Commander of the VIII Corps Area Troops. The camp had a capacity of 45,000.
Commanders were Col. K.L. Berry, Gen. C.V. Birkhead, Col. F.E. Bonney, Col. A.G. Brown, and Col. K.F. Hanst. Camp operated Sept. 1940 to 1946, when 45th Div. was deactivated.
It was named for James Bowie, hero of the Alamo siege, 1836. (1968)
Marker No: 4918
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: At entrance to 36th Division Memorial Park, Burnett Street near Morris Sheppard Road, Brownwood