St. Andrew's Lutheran Church
Marker No: 22508
27 x 42 Aluminum Subject Marker
Location: 10960 West Church Road, Weesatche
Marker Text: The community of Weesatche began in the late 1840s and 1850s as Middletown. Most early settlers were farmers, ranchers, laborers and of professional occupations. Many of them German immigrants or of German descent. When the Methodist church moved to the south side of Coleto Creek. The community organized St. Andrews Lutheran Church in 1891 with Reverend Theodore Ander. Gottlieb Friedrichs donated land for a church, cemetery and pastor's house. A church building was dedicated in May 1893 with services conducted entirely in the German language until the 1940s.
In 1929, a new church with German architectural influences was built to accommodate growing membership. After World War II, a parish hall was added to the church facilities, both are still in use and reflect community through changing times. adjacent to the church is the St. Andrews Lutheran Cemetery with more than 500 burials. Dutifully maintained by the congregation.
The church, comprised of many members of the community. Also participated in the local band and choir. In times of need, especially during wartime, church members organized service projects and donated aid. In addition to financial support overseas. The decade-old youth program and ladies aid society, bible studies and ministries, and commitment to family and community honor the hope and attention of those who settled this area. The congregation of St. Andrews continues to bless their community and preserve their church cemetery and heritage. (2019)