St. James Church
Geographic: 30.572943, -97.414230
Location: 612 Davis Street, Taylor
Marker Text: First Episcopal services in Taylor were held 1878 by the Rev. E. Wickens, a missionary. Visitations were also made by the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg. First bishop of Texas. Services were in homes and opera house. This church of cypress, oak and fine woods was completed 1893, in traditional cruciform plan.
The organ installed in 1914 is till in use. The structure retains original stained in 1914 is still in use. The structure retains original stained glass windows and inferior paneling. (1969)
Marker No: 9334
Medallion & Plate
Texas Historic Landmark