Site of Early Settlement Known as The Ditch
Marker Text: Community established along waterway of Leona Irrigation and Agricultural Association, formed in 1874 by Greenville and W. B. Bowles, A. B. Dillard, Charles T. Rose, A. J. Spencer, and T. E. Taylor. Irrigation produced rich crops; many families settled here. A schoolhouse doubled as church and community center. Settlers gathered in from a large area for dances, weddings and other festivities-- often prolonged. In 1894 flood ruined the farms, and people moved away-- many to Uvalde, to become substantial citizens there. Only a cemetery remains (1 mi. W) of "Ditch" settlement. (1970)
Marker No: 5322
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: From Uvalde, take FM 140 South about 6 miles to roadside marker.