The First Methodist Church
Marker No: 11854
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.016096, -100.205490
Location: 206 West Austin Street, Rocksprings
Marker Text: This congregation traces its beginning to organized religious gatherings led by the Rev. D. O. McAllister in a schoolhouse located on property owned by Mary Buswell in 1893. Early worship services were also held in a public schoolhouse and in the county courthouse. Contributors to the church's initial success include donors of land J. R. Stanford, S. A. Hough, and Dave Elms; organizers of Sunday Schools and church socials J. J. Gill, Ira L. Wheat, and Mrs. J. R. Stanford; and donors of buckets filled with silver dollars, saloon owners Herman Fleischer, Sr., Joe Burris and George Newton.
The first church structure was built about 1900. It was used by the entire community for religious worship until other church buildings could be erected. A storm and tornado, so severe as to detach the church bell clapper and deposit it five miles away, ripped through the community in 1927 destroying the church structure and killing First Methodist Church minister H. L. Spires and his wife. The congregation quickly recovered and erected a new building in 1928.
The congregation has supported missionary work in many parts of the world, including Korea and Zaire. Church pastors have continued the early practice of serving Methodist congregations throughout the county. (1992)