The Rock Spring
Marker Text: Known to early Texans as one inch flow of water out of rocks.
Site of a camp for travelers and freighters. Occupants of land around the spring included W. J. Greer, with a sheep camp, 1882; Francis Winans, with a cattle and sheep ranch, 1884; A. O. Burr, farming, about 1885. Cattlemen, including Frank Gray, camped here during roundups. Outlaws in 1880s frequented a hut nearby.
Rocksprings Post Office opened 1891 in townsite platted for a new county seat at center of Edwards County. The rock spring still seeps in city and county historic park and playground. (1972)
Marker No: 5417
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 30.02684, -100.203865
Location: from Rocksprings go north on US Highway 377 approximately .3 miles