Toliver Chapel Baptist Church
Marker No: 15141
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 31.574783, -97.115295
Location: 1402 Elm Avenue, Waco
Marker Text: This congregation grew out of a Sunday school class led by the Rev. L. Toliver, a highly respected Baptist minister and civic leader in Waco's African American community. The Rev. Toliver, for whom the church is named, organized the Toliver Chapel Baptist Church in July 1895. The Rev. J. Cole was called as first pastor.
The church purchased slightly more than four acres in east Waco from W.M. Walton in 1896. The congregation remained at that location until about 1900 when they moved to a sanctuary built across Price Street from this site. Early church members recalled that services were often interrupted by the sounds of interurban rail cars which ran along Price Street.
The church prospered and in 1917 a new sanctuary was erected to accommodate an expanding membership. The church continued to grow and by the early 1940s boasted more than 1.100 members, in 1948 a new church building was erected at this site. Facilities which have been added over the years include an educational building and music chapel.
Several prominent area citizens have been members of this congregation, Toliver Chapel Baptist Church continues to maintain active outreach and youth programs in the community. (1995)