Townsend - Koliba House
Marker Text: Front portion built in mid-1800s. Owned until 1845 by Stephen Townsend, member of prominent family and veteran of Battle of San Jacinto. In 1837 was first county sheriff, then took part in court held under famous oak (60 yds. W).
In 1902 owner Edward Metzke attached second structure to first one; also added porch.
Former state representative Homes Koliba and Bernice (a descendant of S. Townsend) have owned house since 1951. (1971)
Marker No: 5542
Medallion & Plate
Texas Historic Landmark
Geographic: 29.705656, -96.538223
Location: 1124 Front Street, Columbus