Utopia Methodist Church
Geographic: 29.618156, -99.528999
Location: Corner of Oak and High Streets, Uvalde
Marker Text: Established in 1866 as part of the Uvalde-Kerrville Mission; later in the Uvalde Circuit.
Pecan grove behind present church was site of many pioneer camp meetings under brush arbors. The first was held in 1868 by the Rev. A. J. Potter, noted Civil War chaplain and circuit rider.
This Gothic sanctuary, built in early 1890s with members doing much of the work, is on a site given by the Rev. Irving Jones and R. H. Kincheloe. (1967)
Marker No: 5621
Medallion & Plate
Texas Historic Landmark