Vicinity of Bradbury Settlement (2 mi. above forks of N. and S. Llano Rivers)
Marker Text: One of earliest Kimble County communities. Opened by James Bradbury, Sr., a frontiersman. Between 1850 and 1864 he moved here from Williamson County with six children, after death of his wife. He erected several picket or log buildings, and had blacksmith shop for repairing guns and tools. Main business was ranching. Diet included fish, game, honey and bear meat cured as bacon. Five other men (some with families) lived nearby.
Bradbury was killed in 1872 in an Indian fight. In 1875 his land was bought and occupied by Dr. E.K. Kountz and family. (1970)
Marker No: 5624
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Location: on US 377, 1.7 miles southwest of Courthouse (adjacent to city cemetery)